Interesting English Research Paper Writing Prompts
Do you have writer’s block? Are you being asked to craft a detailed research paper or a term paper for your English class? Coming up with a topic that is interesting, feasible, and unique can be a real challenge for even the most accomplished writer. The following list of prompt ideas should help you get the ball rolling! Don’t be afraid to edit or alter these prompts to suit your own interests and curiosities.
- What were the effects of the deinstitutionalization of mental hospitals in the 1980’s in the United States?
- What are the popular explainations for the obesity epidemic observed in the US and the UK?
- What are some of the effects of British and American imperialism that are still evident in former empire states today?
- What are the psychological effects of belonging to a marginalized group?
- What are the psychological effects of enforcing gender roles in young children and toddlers?
- What are the advantages of charter schools compared to public schools?
- What are the current technological predictions for the future cell phones, computers, or the internet?
- What is the effect of the death penalty on crime rates?
- What is the long-term effect of chronic stress, and what are the greatest sources of stress?
- What effect does birth order have on a child’s psychological development? What is the effect of being an only child?
- How does the insanity plea function in various judicial systems across the world?
- What are the effects of global charities, and what are your recommendations for improving their functioning?
- What is the best way of dealing with the consequences of global climate change?
- Which form of alternate energy is most likely to succeed and replace gasoline?
- What is the best way to educate students with unique learning requirements and special needs?
- How do children develop morality?
- How does the body and the brain process emotional experiences?
- Is sugar toxic? Should it be banned or restricted the way that other dangerous substances are?
- If illegal drugs were legalized or permitted for medical use, what would the social, medical, and economic effects be?
- When is a government morally required to intervene in another nation’s affairs?
- Is the use of drones in warfare more or less ethical than the use of soldiers on the ground?
- How can the gender gap in science, technology, engineering, and math jobs be remedied?
- Are differences between men and women biological in origin, are they entirely cultural, or are they some combination of the two?
- How you would amend your country’s campaign finance system?
- Should your country institute mandatory national service? How should it function?
These are just a few ideas to get you started. Consider a few of your favorites and think of a few more, and you will be certain to arrive at an interesting English paper topic.