How to write a sociology research paper
Students studying social behaviors and their effects in society may be required to write a sociology paper. Such assignments help to evaluate and compare social relationships studied within a student’s coursework. Writing a research paper of this nature may involve a considerable amount of time and understanding of the topic selected. Since assignment requirements can vary it is imperative to follow guidelines or instructions given to ensure you include what is required for your topic. The following points may give further insight on how to create your own sociology research paper.
- Select a topic you can focus on and have a unique interest in. This will help in development of your thesis statement or purpose for research. Take notes on potential sources to use for your research. Allow yourself enough time to thoroughly research your topic. An outline may be created at this point to help break up research.
- Write a summary for your topic, known as the abstract. This is a brief description that is roughly 300 words that gives an overview of what readers should expect from your paper.
- Complete your introduction that includes the reason why you are researching this topic. This will include your purpose or main idea behind your research (thesis). This may be a few paragraphs in length and also introduces the main idea or scope for your paper.
- Complete the methods section of your paper. This will include processes you did to collect your research. This section connects readers to your thesis by identifying the problem you think exists. Propose your solution.
- The results section may follow next and include what you found during research. This details your overall result while providing sufficient evidence for your thesis. This should provide an opinion to an approach without bias.
- A discussion section is written to provide further insight on strengths and weaknesses in connection to your main idea. The last sentence may include what you conclude based on your findings. Some may convince readers why their findings have validity.
- Cite sources according based on guidelines and instructions. You may be required to use a certain formatting style (such as ASA) when creating pages such as your title page, bibliography, references and so forth.
Other Information to Consider for Your Research Paper
An outline can help you organize your data during research. Take time to revise and proofread your content before submission. Seek sample papers for further ideas.